Leading causes of residential fires in Wausau and how to avoid them
There are many hazards you need to think about as a homeowner. Fire is chief among them, as it can happen in any place and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated a stunning $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States due to residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were more than 350,000 reported fires. Luckily, there are steps you can take to stay clear of them. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Wausau.
What starts residential fires in Wausau?
Fires can start anywhere and without notice, whether ignited by a burning cigarette in a waste container or a neglected stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most widespread types of residential fires in Wausau and elsewhere. Unattended stovetops are the main culprit, so always watch that hot skillet when making dinner. It’s also important to note that soaking a grease fire with water will only worsen the situation.
- Heating: Area heaters are well known for causing residential fires. Operating them for too long can cause internal components to degrade and catch fire. Damaged cords and situating heaters by flammable objects like bed sheets or window coverings can also lead to disaster. Other heating elements, such as fireplaces and furnaces, may cause fires and need to be checked regularly.
- Electrical: Worn out wiring, defective outlets, and overburdened extension cords are a few of the ways electrical complications cause fires. Whenever you discern sparking, flickering lights, or strange odors, get it inspected promptly.
- Candles: If there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires due to candles are still frequently reported and often result from careless behavior. Situating them within a pet’s domain or next to flammable objects will often result in disaster.
- Smoking: Even with the overall decline in smoking nationwide, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration announced that 7,800 residential fires were started by smoking in 2021. Dozing off while holding a cigarette or discarding smoldering ashes carelessly can cause destructive results.
The best way to prevent house fires in Wausau is to avoid negligent behavior. Always pay attention when cooking, never leave a candle burning, and discard cigarettes properly. If you have to run a space heater, do so sparingly and get one that includes an automatic shut-off switch in case it tips over.
Safeguard your home with a monitored fire alarm in Wausau
You ought to have smoke detectors on every floor and consider using more near sleeping quarters. But you can take your safety to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety components will not only discern smoke but can also be triggered due to elevated heat levels. Additionally, considering they integrate into your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring specialists whenever a disaster occurs. This is a nice benefit, specifically when you’re not there to hear the alarm and call the fire department yourself.
Protect against various dangers with a Vivint smart home in Wausau
Upgrade the protection of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You may personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be thankful for the instant updates to your smartphone and the reassurance that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Dial (715) 662-6232 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.